Interested in getting involved in the animal rescue world but not quite sure how?
As most of you already know, I am very involved in the Manitoba dog rescue world. When I started out, I knew that I wanted to do something to help but lived in an animal free apartment so I couldn’t foster or adopt. I began by helping the foster families walk the dogs, or let them out and feed them if they weren’t going to be home, things like that. Later on I became more involved with helping create the print outs for the adoptables album for the adoption fairs, and once I moved into a house I began fostering and adopted two of my own. Once I realized my true passion for animal rescue I became more involved with DREAM and am currently their Spay/Neuter Program Coordinator and Operations Director. I am also helping the foster dogs and families, from Manitoba Underdogs Rescue, with any training questions or issues.
Here are some of the many ways to get involved with rescue (not in any order of importance):
- Foster – fostering will cost you nothing, and you are directly helping save a life! Fostering is also great for those who are not sure if they are ready to make the full commitment to adopt, or aren’t sure what kind of dog will fit into their lifestyle.
- Adopt – Looking to add a pet to your life? Check out your local rescue and adopt! You will be directly contributing to helping the animal community and ending overpopulation and abuse. Adopting a pet is also MUCH cheaper than purchasing one off of the internet, through a breeder, or in a pet store because all of the shots, immunizations, and spay/neuter is included. These can add up to $500 on top of the purchasing fee or more versus the $250 – $300 to adopt a pet. “But what if I want a pure bred or a small breed?” Rescues very often have pure bred animals AND small breeds! You just need to make sure to check out all of the rescues and shelters in your community!
- Support a foster family! Help out with walking, feeding, snuggling, and whatever they need a hand with!
- Looking to do something from the comfort of your own home? Why not be a reference checker! Phone potential adopters references or phone adopters for a follow up on how their lives are with their newest furry family member.
- Donate money, or items such as food, collars and leashes, blankets, newspaper, kennels, etc….
- Have a fundraiser – instead of wedding favors make donations in your guest’s names, instead of birthday presents have people donate to your favorite rescue, have a garage sale – get creative!
- Help out at adoption fairs! Man the BBQ or take care of the pups, speak to potential adopters, or sell merchandise!
- Easiest way to help out? Post and share about dogs and/or rescues in need on your social media platforms and encourage your friends to do the same!
- Want to be more involved? Check out what inside positions are available! A rescue is just like a business, but run by volunteers, there are marketing teams, community outreach teams, productions (event planning etc) teams, data entry teams, finance and admin teams, operations (dog intake, foster support etc) teams, and so much more!
Send an e-mail to a local rescue today and find out how you can help! Here are just a few of the many rescues here in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada:
- DREAM – Dog Rescue Education and Advocacy of Manitoba
- Manitoba Underdogs Rescue
- Earthdog Terrier Rescue of Manitoba
- Manitoba Small Dog Rescue
- Hull’s Haven Border Collie Rescue
- Happy Tails Adoption Center
- Winnipeg Animal Services
- Winnipeg Humane Society
- Before the Bridge Senior K9 Rescue
- Manitoba German Shepherd Rescue
- Manitoba Mutts Dog Rescue
Have any questions on how to get involved? Are you currently involved in rescue? What do you do to help? Let me know in the comments below!