Salmon oil is one of the best things you can add to your dog’s diet, whether you feed kibble or raw. I have personally seen the difference it has made in my dog’s lives. My senior Border Collie, Harlequin, has a fused back hip and has had problems walking his entire life. At ten years old, I decided to try salmon oil with him. After a month on salmon oil I noticed that he was able to get up and down a lot faster. My Belgian Shepherd cross, Hope, has been on salmon oil for two years. Her coat is super healthy, she gets less mats and I find that she is also more focused.
The question is, why is salmon oil such a miracle cure for dogs? Here are my top five reasons to add salmon oil to your dog’s diet!
1. Studies have shown that salmon oil acts as an anti-inflammatory for older dogs and dogs suffering from arthritis. When given daily, it has reduced symptoms of arthritis.
2. Salmon oil has been known to help dogs with dry and flaky skin. It has also helped dogs recover faster from allergies! How cool is that
3. Have you ever read the ingredients in your puppy food and noticed that there is almost always salmon oil added to the list? That’s because salmon oil contains docosahexaenoic acid (DHA), which helps cognitive development in dogs.
4. Omega- 6 fatty acids can actually cause harm to our dogs and have been known to contribute to canine cancer. Omega- 6 is most commonly found in processed dog food that contains corn and vegetable oils. Your dog can process omega- 6 fatty acids much better with the addition of omega-3’s. Salmon oil is rich in omega- 3’s and can actually slow cancer cell growth and prevent cancer in dogs. Seriously, how cool is that?
5. Omega- 3 alters the hormones available to neurotransmitters in the brain. This actually helps to lessen behavioural problems in dogs, such as anxiety and reactivity.
I could tell you thousands of reasons to use salmon oil, but really, you just need to try it yourself! It is important to follow the guidelines on the bottle that correlates with your dogs weight to avoid using too much. Pick up a bottle at Wooftopia today! Bottles are ten percent off until the end of this month!
Keep those tails waggin’ and those kisses coming!